A common question is what to choose for developing your own website or for a client’s project – CMS WordPress or Tilda builder?
I work on both Tilda and WordPress. In this article I will tell you the pros and cons of each tool and share my experience, for which projects I choose which option more often.
WordPress or Tilda – what to choose for website development
In short: WordPress is better suited for a blog or multisite, and Tilda for the development of a lending or business card site.
It is impossible to say unequivocally which tool is better. Because these are the two best tools on the market today (in my opinion). Read the article in full and eventually make your choice based on the tasks set before the future site.
Pros of WordPress and Tilda
- The CMS itself is free
- Monthly hosting costs are less
- Many plugins for any task
- You can make any site
- Located on its own hosting
- More suitable for blog and multisite
- Easier to learn at a basic level
- Inexpensive if you pay for a year at once ($5/month)
- No additional costs
- You can make any site
- There is a support service
- There is your own CRM system
Сons of WordPress and Tilda
- A bit more difficult to master because of the large number of customizations
- There may be spend on template and add-on builder in the beginning
- The site is not on your hosting
- If you pay monthly, it costs $10/month.
Let’s compare 6 indicators
The WordPress engine is free, but you still have to pay for hosting and domain. On average, the fee for regular hosting is about $3 per month.
And plus the domain, $20 year for a domain in the zone .com .net .info .
The price for the average Personal tariff is $5 per month if you pay for a year or $10 if you pay monthly.
Domain pay separately. But if you pay the tariff immediately for a year ($90), then one domain you will be given as a gift, you can register in one of the zones: .com .net .info
2. Extra spending
For WordPress additionally need to buy:
- template (theme) – I on all sites use exactly paid templates, they are better and add functionality. The average price of $71 (paid once). But you can use and free themes, it is at your discretion.
- Elementor builder – if you plan to layout lendings and pages, the usual functionality of WordPress will not be enough for you. I use Elementor Pro builder (price $50), it is the best on the market today. But it also has a free version.
For Tilda no additional spending is needed, everything is already in the kit.
WordPress is more expensive at the start, but it comes out cheaper in the long run, because of the lower hosting fee per month.
There is everything you could want for WordPress 🙂 Mostly functionality is added with additional plugins. These plugins are made by third party developers around the world. As of today, there are over 56,000 plugins available for installation.
Tilda also has the required functionality for any task.
4. What types of websites are suitable for
For any type of website, WordPress is a great option:
- Blog – originally, WordPress is a blogging engine, so it is best suited for this role.
- Landing pages and longreads – with the Elementor add-on (builder review) you can layout any kind of landing pages.
- Online store – for a store, WordPress is more suitable than Tilda. It is customizable with the WooCommerce add-on.
- Online school – you can make a great school with Memberlux add-on. My example.
- Portfolio – any type of portfolio, photos, videos, case studies, etc.
- Business card site – WordPress can handle it without any problems.
- Multisite – for such a site WordPress is the best option. What is a multisite? This is a site that combines several types. My example, the site ichigarev.ru, which has a blog, portfolio, lendings, additional pages, online school. If you need the same site, then safely choose WordPress, and with the help of an online course you will easily create a beautiful site with your own hands.
Initially Tilda was associated only with the development of lendings, but gradually the developers added new functionality and now on the constructor you can also create any type of website.
5. Ease of customization and use
Initially, you need to realize that both tools can be learned at a basic level or at a more professional level.
WordPress is a bit more complicated in that there are more settings and it is not immediately clear to a beginner what is important and what is not. But if you learn WordPress with the help of a course or lessons, you can quickly understand what to pay attention to first.
In terms of publishing articles is more convenient than WordPress, because the engine is initially sharpened for such functionality.
At the basic level, it is easier to understand and customize Tilda, because the developers have made a convenient admin and added only the necessary tools that are faster to learn and learn how to customize.
If you have any questions, you can always contact the support service, which will prompt on any issues.
Vordpress does not have such a service, you are left alone with your site and all issues are solved independently, well, or paid/free consulting or buy enhancements from third-party developers.
For many people this very point is a stumbling block.
A website that is made on WordPress is completely owned by you and is hosted on the hosting you rent. At any time, you can download the site files and transfer to another hosting service or upload to a thumb drive and keep a physical copy of the site in your desk.
A site that’s made on Tilda, you can’t just download and use somewhere else. Theoretically you can legally export the code of the site on the Business tariff, but if you are not a programmer, you will not be able to bring this code to the ground on another hosting.
But my opinion is that using Tilda should not worry that something can happen to the designer. Just additionally save all materials (text and pictures) that you publish on the site Tilda, somewhere on your computer or cloud storage.
Also on WordPress you have access to all hosting and engine settings, you can change any part of the code. On Tilde you can’t do that, you only have access to the functionality you have in your personal account.
How I choose between WordPress and Tilda
For my websites
I do all my websites on WordPress, I am more impressed with this engine and I definitely like that the site is hosted by me.
For client sites
Depends on the type of site the client needs. If a blog or multisite, I choose WordPress, if a lending or a simple business card site, I lean more towards Tilda.
If a person plans to blog or multisite, then no matter how it goes, the engine WordPress will have to learn. And if you need a simple site like a lending or business card, there is no point in spending a lot of time to study Vordpress, it is better to quickly master Tilda.
I will finish the review with the thought with which I began – it is impossible to say unequivocally which tool is better, because these are the two best tools on the market today. Depend on what type of website is needed for you.